Conference Day One: 14th August 2018
8:30 am - 9:10 am Coffee & Registration
9:10 am - 9:20 am Conference Opening – Remarks from the Conference Chairperson
9:20 am - 10:00 am How Alipay is Driving Growth In the Australian Market by Creating a Seamless User ExperienceGeorge Lawson - Country Manager Alipay
Alipay is one of China’s largest online payment platforms with more than 520 million members and it is coming for Australian shores. Chinese visitors spent $9.2 billion in Australia in 2016 (including education), a figure that’s expected to increase to $13 billion by 2020. Alipay is a key enabling service which allows a customer to pay a merchant by scanning a QR code and can cater for 175,000 transactions per second. The expansion and acceptance of Alipay by Australian retailers will allow visitors to experience and discover products using a preferred payment method. Alipay’s integration with key players in the Australian market such as Commonwealth Bank, Australia Post and retailers is further creating exponential opportunity and growth.
In this session…
- Analysing how Alipay is unlocking ecommerce growth in Australia
- Exploring a wealth of customer data from shopping history and credit profile to work with merchants to provide the best costumer experience
- Providing simple access to payments and creating a frictionless transaction experience for vendors and their customers
George LawsonCountry Manager
10:00 am - 10:40 am How Westpac is Challenging the Payments Landscape by Revealing Real Time Payments and Relieving Customer Pain PointsPeter Pallister - Head of New Ventures & Digital Westpac
In our rapidly changing world, there is a need for things to happen instantaneously and payments need to keep up with the pace of these demands, especially since Westpac has 13 million customers, up 2% in 2016. The NPP at Westpac marks a significant change in Australia’s payment industry and will give consumers new levels of personalisation and innovation. Westpac explores the opportunities where customer pain points can be solved and how to plan and navigate the challenges of such a dramatic change in the payments landscape.
In this session…
- Analysing how Westpac is providing safety, security and reliability of the network
- Leveraging real time payments as it is critical to improve efficiency in the next 5 years
- Preparing for the proliferation of overlay services on the NPP in the future and the increase of new technologies
Peter PallisterHead of New Ventures & Digital
10:40 am - 11:10 am Speed Networking
11:10 am - 11:40 am Morning Tea
11:40 am - 12:20 pm Exploring Blockchain and Its Potential Influence for Application in Efficiency Processes and SecurityRobert Hanson - Senior Research Consultant Data61 CSIRO
Blockchain enables businesses and banks to process payments more quickly and accurately while reducing transaction processing costs and the requirement for exceptions. Its reported potential for reducing bank infrastructure costs was 30% in 2017 and the potential savings were approximately $8-$12 billion. It can also create new products and generate new revenue streams. With so many players looking into blockchain technology and platforms, it is definitely an area to watch.
In this session…
- Exploring the further use and application of blockchain as an improvement software to make business processes more efficient and secure
- Understanding the potential of blockchain technology and how it will radically change the competitive future of the financial industry
- Detailing the streamlining of payments and trading using blockchain
Robert HansonSenior Research Consultant Data61
12:20 pm - 1:00 pm Leveraging Emerging Market Innovation To Reduce Traditional Friction Points For CustomersSasa Skrgic - Group Retail Strategy - Cards & Payment Projects Erste Group
The dynamic nature of emerging markets is becoming the forefront for innovation and growth in the payments industry due to their need for financial inclusion and the accelerating growth of technology and electronic payments. This has brought some new and disruptive market players that will affect worldwide markets. Studies have shown that in 2017, 78% of the global population has made an online purchase, up 4% from 2014, demonstrating the strong market opportunity for digital commerce and payments.
In this session…
- Analysing how new and disruptive players in emerging markets are creating new opportunities and innovation worldwide
- Maximising the best opportunities to add value for businesses and investors
- Evolving the provision of financial inclusion and access by reducing traditional friction points
Sasa SkrgicGroup Retail Strategy - Cards & Payment Projects
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Lunch Break
2:00 pm - 2:30 pm Revealing How Rapid Digitalisation Has Led To The Rise Of Wearable Technology To Ensure The Convenience of UseElena Lim - Director, Payments & Partnerships (APAC) Fitbit
Shaun Colligan - Regional Director ANZ at Fitbit
Wearables are expected to count for up to 20% of all proximity payments by 2020 and 21 billion devices will be connected to the internet, opening up opportunities for payments. The growing number of wearbles as a payment method as well as their capabilities has led to a new way to live. More than 60 percent of consumers have said they would like to pay for products more efficiently and quickly, with 44 percent preferring to automatically pay without having to manually check out online or physically stop by a counter. This seamless integration and convenience is fast becoming a customer expectation.
In this session…
- Facilitating payment solutions to offer a safe, secure and convenient way to pay
- Presenting new opportunities and collaborations for potential customer brand engagement
- Demonstrating the capabilities of wearables to make instant payments and give a new freedom and convenience
Elena LimDirector, Payments & Partnerships (APAC)
Shaun ColliganRegional Director
ANZ at Fitbit
2:30 pm - 3:10 pm Evaluating Demographic Disruption and the Impact on Digital Services to Drive Digital TransformationRocky Scopelliti - Futurologist .
Millennials are major users of mobiles with 7 out of 8 millennials owning a smartphone and they are using it for payment solutions. They are a large spending population and will account for 54% of the Australian population between now and 2030. This is a market that seeks instant, personalised and seamless customer experiences and businesses are taking note. The boom in contactless payment and digital wallets suggest that Australia is due for growth in digital payments as it has grown 14.2% in 2017.
In this session…
- Analysing demonstrative key trends and identifying the factors affecting millennials, so that you can grow your business
- Discussing their motives and drivers to understand future developments
- Gain insight into their integration of social media, payments and mobile phone use
3:10 pm - 3:40 pm Afternoon Tea
3:40 pm - 4:20 pm Enhancing Customer Convenience by Maximising Payment Collaboration and PartnershipCris Topfner-Rigby - Former Head of Merchant Acquiring and Payment Services/Program Director and Senior Consumer Technologies Professional Former Coles
Payment partnerships have massive benefits for consumers as it allows them a secure and convenient way to pay with their preferred method. Partnerships like these help to give the consumer more choice and drive a mass consumer expansion strategy.
In this Session…
- Comparing the risks and benefits of the partnerships
- Evaluating the cost of adoption and if it is worth it
- Optimising the consumer experience through providing a range of payment methods to suit all needs
Cris Topfner-RigbyFormer Head of Merchant Acquiring and Payment Services/Program Director and Senior Consumer Technologies Professional
4:20 pm - 5:00 pm Champagne Roundtable
This is your chance to make your conference experience truly interactive and collaborative. Each IDG is set in a roundtable format and will be facilitated by an expert practitioner in the space. In two rotations, each IDG will last for 30 minutes, allowing you to pick the two top of minds topics you wish to discuss and solve.
Roundtable A: How to Enhance Collaboration and Partnership to Maximise User Experience
Roundtable B: Development of Artificial Intelligence in Payments Innovation
Roundtable C: Increase of Mobile Technology and Digital Wallets
Roundtable D: Streamlining Payments Methods to Increase Customer Experience